Healthy White Bean Fennel Winter Soup Recipe.
It’s that time of year when comfort foods start to sound better than ever. The colder days and darker nights can often play tricks on our stomachs and our minds. Lucky for you, we’ve found a delicious and healthy soup recipe, featuring our Food of the Month, Fennel. We guarantee this pot of deliciousness will not only keep your tummy satisfied, but keep you on the healthy eating track. Test it out and let us know what you think!
Makes 5 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups shredded fresh spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and fennel in oil until tender.
- Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until fennel is tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Add spinach; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.
You can always add more veggies to add flavor and bulk up the soup without upping the calorie count.recipe and image via Taste Of Home