Are you getting tired of boring broccoli or green beans as a side dish? Live a little! Here is a delicious and healthy cucumber salad, just in time for those spur of the moment summer cook-outs!
Tropical Cucumber Salad (EatingWell.com)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 3-5 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium English cucumber, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 avocado, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 mango, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Whisk fish sauce to taste, lime zest, lime juice, oil, brown sugar, vinegar and crushed red pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add cucumber, avocado, mango and cilantro; gently toss to coat. Serve garnished with lime zest, if desired.
Tips & Notes:
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
Shopping Tip: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment; find it in large supermarkets and Asian markets.
Kitchen Tip: To peel and cut a mango:
1. Slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife.
2. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces.
3. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side.
4. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
Per serving: 169 calories; 11 g fat ( 1 g sat , 7 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 178 mg sodium; 342 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).