Chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans, are packed with antioxidants. These round legumes are a very good source of fiber, protein, iron, folate and provide a good amount of many other nutrients. Research indicates that the fiber from chickpeas may better regulate blood fat (including lower levels of LDL-cholesterol, total cholesterol and triglycerides) when compared to other sources of fiber.
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
Makes 2 servings
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- Spice blend of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Drain the can of garbanzo beans in a strainer and rinse with water for a few seconds to clean off the beans. Shake and tap the strainer to rid of excess water. Lay paper towel on a baking sheet, and spread the beans over. Use another paper towel to gently press and absorb the water on the beans. Roll the beans around with the paper towel to also remove the thin skin from any of the beans. Discard the skins and the paper towels.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the beans and use your hands or a spatula to toss around and coat. Roast for 30-40 minutes until the beans are a deep golden brown and crunchy. Make sure that the beans do not burn.
- Season with salt and spice blend.