Barley is a versatile cereal grain with a nut-like flavor. This grain is an excellent source of fiber, and is a good source of vitamins B1 and B3. You can mix barley flour with wheat flour when making breads and muffins, use cracked barley or barley flakes to make hot cereal or add barley to your favorite soups and stews to give them flavor and extra heartiness.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ pound cremini mushrooms , sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-½ cups quick-cooking barley
- Chicken broth
- Dill and salt, to taste
- Cook 2 sliced onions in 2 tablespoons olive oil until caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sauté ¾ pound sliced cremini mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter.
- Cook 1-½ cups quick-cooking barley in chicken broth as the label directs, then toss with the mushrooms, onions, some dill and salt