Pecans are rich in heart-healthy unsaturated fats, fiber and antioxidants. They contain a good amount of Vitamin E, which can help lower blood cholesterol levels. Pecans also contain potassium, which helps maintain a healthy blood pressure. Serving size tip: Approximately 19 pecan halves are equivalent to a 1 ounce serving.
Pecan Cherry Trail Mix
Makes 8 (¼cup servings)
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt (preferably coarse kosher salt)
- ⅓ cup dried pitted cherries
- ⅓ cup roasted and salted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the pecans in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a heavy small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chili powder and cayenne and stir until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Pour over the pecans.
- Mix in the sugar, orange zest, and salt.
- Transfer the mixture to a small baking pan.
- Roast until the nuts are toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine the toasted pecans, cherries, pepitas, and cranberries and mix to combine.
- Serve as a snack!