Pineapple is an excellent source of manganese, which plays an important role in bone development and in converting carbohydrates, fats and protein into energy. In just one cup of pineapple, you get over 75% of the manganese you need in one day! This spiky fruit is also a great source of vitamin C, which helps heal cuts and wounds and keeps teeth and gums healthy. Vitamin C also aids in iron absorption.
Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
Makes 8 servings. Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time 20 minutes | Ready In: 2 hours & 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 (20 oz.) can of pineapple chunks, drained
- In a shallow glass dish, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic powder. Stir the chicken pieces and pineapple into the marinade until well coated. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken and pineapple alternately onto skewers. Grill 15 to 20 minutes , turning occasionally, or until chicken juices run clear.