Black Beans are not only a versatile food, but have an impressive nutrition profile. These small beans are very low in fat and loaded with fiber and protein.
Just one cup of cooked black beans provides about 15 grams of both protein (30% of what you need daily) and fiber (60% of what you need daily), while only containing about 1 gram of fat. Black beans are a good source of iron and an excellent source of folate.
Healthy Tip: When buying canned black beans buy low sodium canned beans and rinse with water to remove some of the sodium.
Makes 4 servings | Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 5 min | Total Time: 15 min
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans
(rinse under running cold water)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine beans, onion, and garlic, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Season with cilantro, cayenne, and salt.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, and serve.