Turnip Greens are a cruciferous vegetable packed with nutrition. These leafy greens are an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, dietary fiber, calcium, vitamin E and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, vitamin B2, iron, vitamin B1, omega-3 fatty acids and protein.
Spicy Skillet Turnip Greens
Makes 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 pound turnip greens, cleaned and chopped
- ¼ cup water
- pinch brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to preference)
- Drizzle olive oil into skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Then add ½ of turnip greens. Allow to cook down and add the remainder of the greens.
- Add water, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Adjust the amount of red pepper to your personal taste.