Written by Kate A. Mascho, RD, LDN – Registered Dietitian, Poe Center for Health Education
Avocados are a nutrient dense fruit packed with essential vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Some of the key nutrients found in avocados include vitamin K, folate, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium and fiber. Avocados are also a good source of monounsaturated fats, which help lower blood cholesterol when consumed in place of saturated fats.
Tips: How to Choose and Use Avocados
3 Ways to Toast Avocado
- 1 slice bread (try thick, crusty artisan breads, sourdough, rye, wheat, multigrain or whatever bread you prefer)
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and mashed
- 1 egg
- 2 slices heirloom or beefsteak tomato
- 2 slices bacon (try maple bacon, peppercorn bacon, turkey bacon or veggie bacon)
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Sea salt to taste
California Avocado Toast with Fried Egg
- Toast bread and spread with fresh avocado (mashed or sliced).
- Spray a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray and fry one egg as desired.
- Place cooked egg onto avocado toast, sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
California Avocado Toast with Heirloom Tomatoes
- Toast bread, spread with fresh avocado (mashed or sliced) and top with 2 slices heirloom or beefsteak tomato.
- Sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.
California Avocado Toast with Bacon
- Toast bread, spread fresh avocado (mashed or sliced) and top with 2 slices cooked bacon.
Prep Time: 5 minutes – Cook Time 5 minutes – Total Time: 10 minutes