Written by: Liz Crotts, Personal Trainer @ O2 Fitness Brennan
With Cinco de Mayo right on Sunday, I thought it would be appropriate to create & share a healthy version of a typical, crowd pleasing, Mexican cuisine.
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo with a low key night at home or getting together with friends & family, this creation will be pleasing to your taste buds as well as your waste line.
This recipe will be appropriate for most anyone’s dietary needs. Additionally, it’s gluten free & I’m listing a vegetarian & vegan version too!
- 1 large bag blue corn tortilla chips
- 4 tbsp low-fat or nondairy sour cream
- 1 medium avocado
- 12oz low fat or nondairy pepper jack shredded cheese
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 small can black olives
- 2 tomatoes on the vine
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place chips evenly on baking sheet & cover with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Chop scallions, jalapeño, tomatoes & avocado.
- Remove chips from oven & top with ingredients.
Enjoy, and Happy Cinco de Mayo!